Today I finished the first edit of my novel. It has been both exhilarating and terrifying. I won’t even mention my word count. Needless to say it is ridiculously large; as in probably close to 3x larger than some of the estimations I’ve seen for my genre’s standard.
A while back I had come to terms with the fact that I was most likely going to need to split the book. It was a painful revelation as I am unsure if there is really a good place to break it in two and also I had always thought of it as one book. Seems a bit funny to be sad it’s going to have to be two and not one, but that’s how my heart feels, damned if I can explain why.
Still I had hoped that maybe, juuust maybe, with some slash and burn of useless words/paragraphs along with a little luck I might be able to squeak a reduced version past a publisher.
Hahaha. In my wildest dreams…
Now I realize that not only will it need to be two books but I’ll still need to hack out major chunks to make even those two a reasonable word length. The poor exposition is going to be butchered, but it’s dying for a good cause. I think.
This of course means I get the joy of setting aside my anxiety of going about researching publishers for a while longer though. So here I find myself now staring at the empty folder “Edit 2”. Brace yourself. It is going to be one hell of a bumpy ride.